Assertive children know how to stand up for themselves without being hurtful or mean.
Here are 5 phrases to give them to stick up for themselves:
1. I know your words are meant to upset me. I will not let them.
2. I don’t like being called that. I want you to call me by my name.
3. I did not have control over that. It’s not ok to blame me.
4. I undetstand that you are unhappy. I don’t deserve to be treated like this.
5. That’s not safe. I’m getting someone to help.
If one day they use any of them with you… then you know you are doing a good job!